Road Grid Installation
PLEASE READ THESE SUGGESTIONS BEFORE INSTALLATION OF YOUR APRILLA GRID
- Traffic – i.e. turning trucks;
- Stock Movement;
- Road – i.e. slope/shape/alignment;
- Fencing; and
- Diverting the flow of water, and carrying silt away from the raised grid.
APRILLA GRIDS CAN BE INSTALLED TWO WAYS:
Above Ground with the roadway built up. This is the best method but requires a considerable amount of fill and is not suitable for steeply sloping roadways.
In Ground with hole depth only ½ of grid depth. This is the easiest method as the fill removed from the hole is used to backfill the grid (then gravelled) forming a slight rise up to the grid, so that during heavy rains water carrying silt will flow away from the grid and not into it. If installed properly very little silt build up will occur.
Lift Grids By Steel Section Only. Do Not Drag Into Position.
- Place the grid on the centre line of the road.
- Align the grid with the direction of the road (not the fence line) Look at it from both approaches from about 30m up the road.
- Tilt grids up on one edge (by lifting with one chain attached to steel work on centre of opposite approach edge);
- Shovel about 50mm (2”) of SOFT FILL (not sand) under opposite edge;
- Raise and lower the grid swiftly to evenly compact to required finished height;
- Repeat this procedure on the other approach edge, ensuring the base is supported evenly along both approach edges and not sitting on any high spots. It is not essential for the end walls to be supported. Spirit levels are best left at home as the grids seem best set up to suit the lay of the roadway.
KEY POINTS FOR INSTALLING SINGLE GRIDS ON GRAVEL SHIRE, PRIVATE & FARM ROADS
- Consider turning trucks; if possible allow at least 20m from sharp turns.
- Generally HIGHER is better; to prevent silting, water should not run into the pit from the finished gravel road surface.
- SQUARE the grid with the WHEEL TRACKS on the road, then adjust the fence to suit. Consider the grid as part of the road, not the fence line.
- Slope the grid with the SLOPE of the road.
- Bed in concrete base properly (see above).
- Remove one post in an existing gateway. Fit the grid then place a gate beside or near the grid for stock & steel track machinery.
- DO NOT drive steel drum road compaction ROLLERS over grids. Use the gateway provided. Production grids are designed for rubber tyred vehicles & trucks only.
- SPRAY inside grid pit at least twice per year with Roundup or similar to keep the grid weed free and more stock proof.